Friday, 21 December 2012

winter solstice


 











Métis Hunter (for Winter PAT)

































Description Ink, watercolor and gouache, HmmNbrd's traditional native american costume/elements card for Winter PAT.
Okay, technically he's native CANADIAN.... I have some Métis heritage so I really wanted to draw a traditional Métis outfit. A bit of history for those who don't know: The Canadian Métis are descendants of First Nations tribes and French settlers. Their traditional clothing was really interesting, because it was basically a mix between European and Native styles. They also have beautiful embroidery and beading, and almost always include a brightly colored sash.

Posted Byreneenault [Profile] [Gallery] CategoryATCs: P&P TRADED




Visit this artist's website


~


“There’s a quote that’s attributed to Louis Riel, though no one can find it in books anywhere,” she says. “He says, ‘My people will sleep for 100 years, and when they awake it’ll be the artists who give them their spirit back.” There’s another link for Favell, who is also Métis and grew up on the shores of Lake Winnipeg. “I thought of the Yellow Brick Road and trying to find your way home, and for me I’m trying to find the red brick road, find my way home to my nativeness.”


No comments: